Loading

Monday, May 12, 2008

GM Hikaru Nakamura's comment on age & earning GM title

I was reading timhortonsknigt's blog (http://cheszpatzerblog.blogspot.com) and came across some kibitzes with GM Hikaru Nakamura during his examination of a game and noted this question. "harmonicsa kibitzes: do you think someone who picks up chess after age 20 can achieve GM?" To which GM Nakamura replied, "Smallville(GM) kibitzes: No, definitely not harmoncsa"

I definately have to agree with Hikaru on this one. I didn't learn chess until 20, when you are a kid, your brain is like a sponge..neurons ready to take on any information. As you grow older, your brain is trained in the way you have grown in the 20 years before. If you learn chess at 6 and continue to play...your brain is tuned to the game, if you also have the talent to go with it of course. Your mind is fresh, ready to see ideas and concepts that an older brain is tuned to ignore, no matter how much you try to rewire it, it just seems to want to go back to it's old ways.

I learned the game playing with a few friends, getting beat constantly, which of course I didn't like! So I went to the local library in South Dakota (Not really the chess capital of the world) and found Mikhail Tal's autobiography. I learned notation and was in awe of the ways he found to win. By going over his games, I learned a few concepts and soon was beating my friends until they wouldn't play me anymore. Now trying to find another chess partner who is stronger in a small town in South Dakota isn't easy, so it wasn't until I moved to Kansas that I found more chess players. I then found out how weak I still was...so I played at the JUCO I was at, still winning most games, but finding tougher opponents and getting beat as well. Then the disability hit, and I had nothing to do but study chess.

I finally got to play in my first USCF tournament and was totally waxed and buffed. I worked my way over the years to almost a B player. I won some class prizes and such in the C class...but couldn't get over the hump. Then eventually, the disability kicked in more, relapses, more meds...getting older, my rating started to slide. I do not know if I wasn't in that condition if I could have made it to the B class, but I think so, I had beaten B players and drawn A players.

But this was before my first relapse...prednisone is a very useful drug, but evil in high doses...I still have cataracts from it. As well as the constant pain I'm in from the ravage of the immune system eating my muscles. Luckily, my Rheumatologist finally got it under control, but with the meds I'm on, Morphine, Percocet, Valium (to help with muscle tightness and anxiety) and various other drugs (over 20 total) I can't even keep up on ICC anymore.

Now I am 44, 24 years of playing chess and never reached my goal of a B player, except on ICC in blitz..a high of 1727..now in the 1300's! My bullet high was in the 1600's, now in the 1100's. I don't feel I've failed in any way...I've had a lot of fun with chess and now computer chess. That's the main thing. But to those over 20 who are just learning, keep learning. You may not become a GM, I think I've heard of some late learners getting titled, you may be next. But a super-GM, no, I don't think so. It's like the old saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". (Actually you can, but chess isn't a trick) :P

So have fun, play chess, learn, read! And play and play. Learn from your mistakes...also, I've found working backwards was better for me when learning, first learn the moves, then learn your basic mates and mating patterns. Endgames are how you win, if you can get through that mess of openings and middlegames...that's another thing, openings..a kid can learn those so easy, all the names, positions..it's like when they know all the names of the dinosaurs. They just soak it up, it's much harder for us old folks. I don't know if this helps anyone, but I was thinking about it last night, as I was trying to sleep, dreaming of being in a super tournament and being a GM. It never hurts to dream and just maybe for some, that dream will come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newegg.com RSS Feed - Daily Deals

webmasters or bloggers-make extra money! Allposters.com

Barnes & Noble

Save up to 80% on Former Bestsellers, Books for Kids, B&N Classics, and More in our bargain book section!

Value Electronics and Games

TransWarp Chess Headline Animator

Allposters.com Mini Store

Web.Com Webhosting

BooksAMillion Books Galore!

Monroi Chess viewers and game recorders

LCC-London Chess Centre Great Chess Products! Worldwide Shipping!

Counter

ICC The Internet Chess Club Lots of fun to be had!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

I heart FeedBurner

Enjoy TransWarp's Chess? Donations Welcome!

Privacy Policy for www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com If you require any more information or have any questions about our privacy policy, please feel free to contact us by email at kittnmeister@gmail.com. At www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com, the privacy of our visitors is of extreme importance to us. This privacy policy document outlines the types of personal information is received and collected by www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com and how it is used. Log FilesLike many other Web sites, www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com makes use of log files. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol ( IP ) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider ( ISP ), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses, and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable. Cookies and Web Beacons www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com does not use cookies. DoubleClick DART Cookie .:: Google, as a third party vendor, uses cookies to serve ads on www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com..:: Google's use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to users based on their visit to www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com and other sites on the Internet. .:: Users may opt out of the use of the DART cookie by visiting the Google ad and content network privacy policy at the following URL - http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html Some of our advertising partners may use cookies and web beacons on our site. Our advertising partners include ....Google AdsenseCommission JunctionThese third-party ad servers or ad networks use technology to the advertisements and links that appear on www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com send directly to your browsers. They automatically receive your IP address when this occurs. Other technologies ( such as cookies, JavaScript, or Web Beacons ) may also be used by the third-party ad networks to measure the effectiveness of their advertisements and / or to personalize the advertising content that you see. www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers. You should consult the respective privacy policies of these third-party ad servers for more detailed information on their practices as well as for instructions about how to opt-out of certain practices. www.transwarpchess.blogspot.com's privacy policy does not apply to, and we cannot control the activities of, such other advertisers or web sites. If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through your individual browser options. More detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers can be found at the browsers' respective websites.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Storm Prediction Center Forecast Products

RE: FTC Blogger Compensation Endorsement Rule Dec 01, 2009


While TransWarp Chess does get compensation for banner ads from Google Adsense, Google Affiliate Program, Commission Junction Affiliate Program and Allposters.com. TransWarp Chess does try not to personally Endorse any specific product, while I the blogger may like the idea of certain products and services, it is up to you, the reader to decide if a product deserves to be looked at via the ads. I comment on chess and computer chess, this blog is NOT about the products that are featured in the ads. At any rate, to date TransWarp Chess' blog and the small sister blog Paranormal Questions, has in it's account $1.59 from Google Adsense, no distribution of funds until $50.00, $0.00 from Google Affiliate Program and $0.00 from CJ Affiliate Program, $5.74 in holding at Allposters.com until $25.00 is reached in commissions. All this well over a year of blogging, I guess some abuse the blogging system to the point that this rule was made, I hope this satisfies the FTC regulation, as to what I heard on the site, it sounded like if the blog itself was dedicated to a specific product/s. But best to be safe.

About Me

My photo
Not much to say, a disabled dude who blogs when he can for fun and some spare change, really that's what it's been so far, spare change! But that's life, doing this helps it go by a little less painful by keeping my mind occupied. A tumbleweed would do that at this point :P Have fun and Take Each Day as a Gift!